Travel is one of the great joys and privileges of life, but it also comes with a great deal of responsibility. After all, none of us want our holidays to be at the expense of local wildlife, nature and communities – no matter how amazing the experience.
This is why cooperative, dedicated responsible tourism efforts are so important – involving everyone from the hotel manager to the traveller, as well as travel companies like Blank Canvas.
What is responsible tourism?
Every single travel package we put together for our guests is created in line with the Cape Town Declaration on Responsible Tourism. This is a set of principles which, according to the Centre for Responsible Travel (CREST) encourages:
“Tourism that maximizes the benefits to local communities, minimizes negative social or environmental impacts, and helps local people conserve fragile cultures and habitats or species.”
Responsible tourism is also closely related to similar principles such as ecotourism, geotourism and sustainable tourism.
Blank Canvas – our ethics
Here are just a few of the ways that the team here at Blank Canvas aims to promote responsible tourism:
- Working to generate greater economic and well-being benefits for the local people in each destination wherever we can, including supporting improvements to working conditions.
- Ensuring we always make ethical decisions which will minimise the economic, environmental and social impact of travel for local communities.
- Helping our guests to have more enjoyable experiences through meaningful connections with local people within destinations.
- Having an in-depth understanding of local social, environmental and cultural issues, and sharing this expertise with our guests when planning their trip.
- Engendering respect between tourists and hosts, at every stage of the trip planning process.
- Making positive contributions to local conservation efforts – whether natural, cultural or architectural.
What does this mean for you as a Blank Canvas adventurer?
Firstly, it means you can travel with confidence. Your experience won’t have a detrimental effect on the people and animals who live in the places you visit, and it could even benefit them. After all, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), around 319 million jobs worldwide are supported by the travel and tourism sector. That’s a massive 10% of total employment globally. So your trip, if organised responsibly by dedicated travel companies like Blank Canvas, can support local economies and jobs.
Booking your trip with Blank Canvas could also mean an enriched, more meaningful experience. Our in-depth knowledge and understanding of our destinations means that we can help you see more of the places you visit. And we mean the real side of a destination, not the usual tourist traps.
You’ll make better connections with local people, get a real taste of the local culture and history and understand what makes each place so very special. This is what makes a trip unforgettable.
So, responsible tourism? It’s a win-win all round. Get in touch with the Blank Canvas team to find out more and to start planning your next amazing adventure.