At Blank Canvas, we’re committed to providing LGBTQ+ friendly travel all over the world. This means providing safe, welcoming and inclusive experiences, and only partnering with operators and hospitality businesses that share our values.
It also means keeping an eye on the best Pride events, festivals and celebrations all over the world, so we can recommend the most vibrant places to visit. In honour of Pride Month 2022, here’s our roundup of Pride weekends and events in our favourite destinations…
Pride Month in Bangkok, Thailand
It’s safe to say that Bangkok goes big for Pride Month. Think enormous. The city’s calendar is packed with fantastic events, including:
- The all-day Pride Festival at the W Bangkok on 3rd June.
- LGBTQI+ Film Festival at Grand Studio on 4th June, showing six classic films including Rafiki, Coming Out, Carol and Love is Strange.
- Bangkok Naruemit Pride Parade starting from the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple on 5th
- Pride Parade Cruise on Bangkok Island on 11th June, where you can cruise the Chao Phraya River while enjoying DJs, drag shows and a fashion show.
Colombo Pride, Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka does lag other nations when it comes to gay rights and LGBTQI individuals can face legal and social challenges not faced by non-LGBTQI people. However, gay events do take place here, suggesting that the tide may be turning in terms of attitudes.
Colombo Pride 2022 kicked off with the Abhimani Queer Film Festival on 19th June, a free event featuring an exceptional collection of LGBTIQ films.
This is followed by a number of unique events, including a gloriously colourful Rainbow Kite Festival at sunset on Sugar Beach on 26th June.
Festival Fierté Montréal, Canada
One of the biggest French-speaking Pride celebrations in the world, Festival Fierté Montréal takes place from 1st-7th August 2022.
The festival, especially the parade on the closing day of the event, is expected to attract a huge 2 million local and international visitors. It features everything from free shows to expert panels, and there’s also a brilliant Community Day taking place on Saint-Catherine Street.
Taipei Gay Pride Parade, Taiwan
One of the biggest Pride events in Taiwan takes place in Taipei over 4 unforgettable days from 27th-30th October. The highlight of the event is of course the parade, taking place on the streets of the city and in the Gay Village on 29th October.
Cape Town Pride, South Africa
Taking place earlier in the year than Pride Month, Cape Town’s annual Pride event is always a colourful feast for the senses. Along with live music, a parade, stalls, food, drink and other family-friendly entertainment, Cape Town Pride is also an important platform for the city’s LGBTIQ community.
Held in February 2022, this year’s Pride was organised by OUTReach Africa. It included a brand new event – Cape Town Pride Proms at the Artscape Opera House, with music from the Cape Town Youth Choir and Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra.
Positive news for the worldwide LGBTQ+ community
What’s changed around the world since Pride Month 2021? Here’s a quick roundup of some positive news you’ll want to know:
- South Africa’s uMngeni municipality in KwaZulu Natal, a traditionally conservative province, elected its first openly gay mayor in November 2021 – Christopher Pappas.
- Botswana’s appeals court upheld a ruling that decriminalised same-sex relationships in December 2021.
- New Zealand, France, Canada and Greece all banned conversion therapy practices.
- Chile approved a bill to legalise same-sex marriage in December 2021.